Note: A recent man’s death marks the 16th water related fatality this year on Maui.
Maui has many beautiful beaches but be very careful in deciding which beach to select to bring your child. There has been a number of injuries and deaths of visitors who over estimated their abilities and/or underestimated the power of the ocean. I swim over a mile every other day in a 50 meter pool on Maui but am very cautious about swimming in the ocean here. Take the time to do the research, ask questions, especially of locals and always keep an eye of your child in the water. Some of the more dangerous places to swim where a number of accidents have taken place include
1. Big Beach in Makena
2. Black Rock in Kaanapali
3. Hookipa in Paia
4. Koki and Hamoa in Hana
Better choices of fun & safe beaches to bring children include
1. Baby Beach in Lahaina Town (Google 51 Puunoa Place)
2. Baby Beach (North Shore) It can get windy in the afternoon
3. Kuau Cove (North Shore) In front of Mama's Fish House
4. Kamaole Beaches (Kihei) Kam 1 has swings and volleyball net
5. Napili Bay - Nice beach but few amenities- no lifeguards, little parking,)
6. Launiupoko Beach - fishing, surfing, swimming and baby wading
Just because you see people in the ocean, does not mean you or your child can handle the conditions. You are not in Kansas anymore.
For information on these and other child & family friendly beaches on Maui, contact contact me at Darby@mauidreamday.com
Remember, If in doubt, don't go out!