- Look for, read, and obey all beach and safety signs
- Always best to swim in life guarded areas
- Ask a lifeguard about beach and surf safety before swimming
- Avoid swimming offshore during dusk, dawn and overnight hours, when sharks are most active.
- If you are unable to swim out of a strong current, signal for help
- Do not attempt to dive or jump over large waves
- Protect the environment. Refrain from touching all reefs or marine animals. Help keep the beaches clean and Hawaii beautiful
- http://www.co.maui.hi.us/DocumentCenter/View/97704 (county of Maui Ocean Safety Guide with a lot of useful tips)
Maui Dreaming is the blog of Maui Dream Day. We want to make sure your time on Maui is fun, relaxing, safe and “no ka oi” (the best). We write about all things Maui and Keiki (Hawaiian for child). We welcome your feedback. Enjoy!